On behalf of Carbon Lighthouse, AgileEngine is looking for a Software Engineer to be the second member of the newly-formed Infrastructure team. The main objective of the team is to accelerate software development and innovation at Carbon Lighthouse by building and maintaining infrastructure (such as our custom time series storage system and async job executor), improving our service operations, and owning developer tooling and experience (e.g. build tools, development environment).
An ideal candidate is a seasoned software engineer with a demonstrated track record of building and running infrastructure and development tooling systems. They are self-directed and able to identify good problems to solve and execute on them independently. They will be expected to be a partner in developing the infrastructure team’s roadmap and may be required to help mentor more junior engineers as our team grows.
We are at a critical moment in our software organization as we try to transform our building analysis tool, CLUES, into a more flexible toolkit and myriad external products.
Thoughtful infrastructure can open up solutions and functionality that expand what’s possible. We’re excited to have your help.
What is required?
- Capable of self-direction and identifying high-impact projects, demonstrated through experience on multiple projects, or as a tech lead or manager of a team
- Demonstrated interest and experience (3+ years) in building and running infrastructure systems
- Willingness and ability to teach and evangelize development practices and tools to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Ability to identify and build software primitives that enable or accelerate product or feature development
What will be a plus?
1. Experience with the specific technologies that are core parts of our dev and infrastructure stack, namely:
2. Expertise with other build and developer tools such as:
- Github Actions
3. Tech Lead or management experience
What will you do?
- Designing and implementing infrastructure software services
- Consulting for other development teams on infrastructure-related design questions and service operations
- Identifying high impact capabilities and/or projects to help shape the team’s roadmap
- Running and maintaining our core services, including Kubernetes, our monitoring stack, and our AWS-based systems
- “Keeping the lights on”. This role is about building new things and improving existing systems. You are a software engineer, first and foremost. You will of course be expected to step in and provide your operational expertise to other teams, but it is not your primary responsibility.
- “Being the ops person”. Your goal should be to identify high-impact ways of making operations (deploying, running services) easier and more reliable for our development team, which includes Software Engineers, Data Scientists, and thermodynamics experts. Operations are a primary expectation of all development teams.
What about project
Carbon Lighthouse is on a mission to stop climate change by making it easy and profitable for building owners to eliminate carbon emissions caused by wasted energy. The company’s unique approach to Efficiency Production goes deep into buildings to uncover and continuously correct hidden inefficiencies that add up to meaningful financial value and carbon elimination that lasts. Since 2010, commercial real estate, educational, hospitality and industrial customers nationwide have chosen Carbon Lighthouse to enhance building comfort, increase net operating income and achieve their sustainability goals.
We are a team that highly value life and safety, question asking, getting it done, integrity, and teamwork. We hold the safety of everyone we work with inside and outside the company in the highest regard. We prize transparency and communication, hold ourselves to high standards of performance and professionalism, and support our team members’ professional development. Over the past decade our annual average turnover rate has been under 5%.