The key function automation QA Engineers perform is writing scripts and creating automation environments for repeated tests. Using different automation tools, they design, test, and deploy effective test automation solutions. Their goal is to automate as much of the testing effort as possible with a minimum set of code. This way they optimize the testing that otherwise would consume a large percentage of test resources.
In order to fulfill this role, automation engineers implement the appropriate automation techniques to meet the short and long-term goals of the testing organization with accuracy.
Skill Set required:
- Technical Skills– Require programming skills to write computer code and scripts in common computer languages, such as Java,Python, Ruby, С++, Perl, PHP, C#
- Suggest /Make framework enhancements to accommodate the scripting needs
- Analytical skills – Analytically examine bug reports, prioritize necessary tests, and streamline application functions through automated testing processes
- Attention to detail – Being detail oriented is required as they test web and mobile applications to find ways to improve them and isolate problems
- Communication skills – Need strong verbal communication skills to effectively collaborate with the engineering team and create testing plans and written reports showing errors
- Automation testing tools: Selenium
- Mobile automation testing tools for Android, iOS, and cross-platform ones
- API testing tools that require strong coding skills to create tests: REST Assured, RestSharp, jMeter, etc.
- Continuous Integration tools – Jenkins, Bit bucket, Github
- JIRA – Defect tracking and task creation tool
- Confluence – Repository of ELC Documentation
Qualifications and Certification
- 2-3 years Automation experience is required
- Experience in ecommerce applications is a must
- Work experience with offshore/nearshore/onshore model a big plus
- Experience with Agile methodology is preferred
What you will do:
- Write, design, and execute automated tests by creating scripts that run testing functions automatically;
- Maximize test coverage for the most critical features of the system;
- Determine the priority for test scenarios and create execution plans to implement these scenarios;
- Write documentation for automated processes including test plans, test procedures, and test cases;
- Build test automation frameworks;
- Log and document bugs in the tracking system;
- Set up Continuous Integration;
- Besides writing automated tests, Test Automation Engineers can still do exploratory testing when they need to understand how functionality manifests itself to the customer.